Almost every single one of you is making this mistake with your business listings. GUARANTEED!
I’m talking about the section in your Google, Yelp!, or other business listings where it says to ‘describe your business’.
The mistake you’re making is that you are describing your business!
Don’t fall into that trap!
Your customer doesn’t care about what it is that you do.
What they care about is what you will do FOR THEM. This may seem like splitting hairs but it isn’t.
When you fill out your business listings, whether it’s Google, Yelp!, Angie’s List, or others they ask you to describe your business or what you do.
So, you start off with:
- “We are”
- then you throw your city in there
- Then some adjective like “premier”
So it sounds like this: “We are Tampa’s premier tile contracting company.”
Not only is this stroking your own ego but what do you think your competitors are putting in there? The exact same thing!
Further, customers don’t care what you “are”.
They care about not having to look at their dingy old bathroom anymore.
Know thy customer
Instead, put the focus on your customer. What problems do they call you about?
Did the last contractor fill the house with dust? Do they have a new shower that leaks?
Are they worried about hiring a contractor that is going to take their deposit and barely show up?
That’s what you put in your description!
“We are…” vs “Are you..?”
When you fill out your profile, think about what you do for your customer. Instead of “we are” start with “Are you…” or “Do you…”
- Are you worried that renovating means filling your home full of dust?
- Have you recently renovated and now are panicking that your shower may leak?
- Is it frustrating to have your home torn apart and your contractor is working on someone else’s house?
Filling out your profile this way connects with your customer and separates you from the riff-raff.
Remember who is reading your business description. This is your chance to connect with YOUR customers.
- what problems your customers come to you with
- what problems you uniquely solve
- start your description with ‘are you’, ‘do you’, etc.
- put in an emotion word like frustrating, worried, concerned, etc
Soon you’ll start getting calls from the right kinds of people. The people that you can help.